Your favorite left sidebar content goes here

How do you know the information you are getting is from a good source?

One of the major complications with the broad scope of the internet is that… well there is really such a broad scope of information out there for us to access. With the near endless sources for data it can become a project to sort through all the backgrounds of the sources you are reading, learning, and citing work from.  Because who wants to base research for a paper on worthless trash from some guy on his computer in his garage claiming to be Dr. So-and-so from nonsense university, located in make-believe town USA? Not me!

What are my options?

Fortunately, if you know where to look, there are many places on the web where you can actually get a quality evaluated opinion of a source. Aside from running through a checklist of necessary information you should look before trusting a source (such as who the author is, where the information comes from, etc.) you might also want to think about referring to an evaluated opinion for some clarity. I like to use the Cornell University online library which provides some extremely useful tips when research hunting, and also suggests to use said virtual libraries which have a large number of evaluated sources. One of the top suggestions Cornell’s list of virtual libraries is ProQuest. Part of the Cambridge Information group, ProQuest is a massive trusted electronic database based out of Michigan. Quoted off of their website, ProQuest is the most comprehensive “information partner, creating indispensable research solutions that connect people and information. Through innovative, user-centered discovery technology, ProQuest offers billions of pages of global content that includes historical newspapers, dissertations, and uniquely relevant resources for researchers of any age and sophistication.”

Don’t get gypped

Keep a keen eye on any information you stumble across on the internet, specifically from websites suggested by popular search engines. You don’t want to be taken advantage of anywhere, especially not on the web where it can happen commonly if you are not careful.

Apparently, people are evengypped out of tons of money by getting fake degrees online from fake universities.

1 Response to “BLOG six: Evaluating information found on the web”

1. 1 Nate

I had no idea people were out there with fake degrees from fake universities. That’s crazy! I suppose I shouldn’t be too surprised. It seems that you can’t avoid people that want to take advantage of you no matter where you go. I guess you really do have to check where your information is coming from. This is obviously true for scholarly work, but I think its just as true for anything you’re trying to learn. I think that all of human knowledge should be treated the same, we shouldn’t be trying to claim anything if we can’t justify it in some way. Nice post.

RSS Ackermann’s Blog

• Thing 15 – Awareness Tools
    10 The Computer Age (In Motion) Had Enough? No doubt, the Internet and the Web are becoming indispensable, helpful, useful, and interesting. Every day in this class we’ve been looking into different tools, concepts, or ‘things.’ A few people have written in blogs that they don’t need some tools, for example  social bookmarking sites and […]
3K2 theme by Hakan Aydin